|Union Steamship Company of British Columbia|
“The Union Steamship Company, one of the first Vancouver-based shipping lines, was founded in 1889, acquiring the assets of the Burrard Inlet Ferry Company. The new company's first passenger and freight vessel, the SS Cutch, was purchased in India, arrived in June 1890 in Vancouver and immediately was put on the Vancouver-Nanaimo route. The Company, requiring vessels to supply the increasing number of logging camps and new settler's homes along the British Columbia coast, had three vessels built in Vancouver's Coal Harbour. The first was the SS Comox which sailed regularly to Powell River and stopped at various settlements along the Sunshine Coast.…
The Union Steamship Cheakamus arriving at the Savary Wharf on one of its then twice-weekly visits. Note the young Jim Spilsbury on the left peeking around behind his mother, Alice.
(Source: Spilsbury's Album by Jim Spilsbury, Harbour Publishing, 1990, www.harbourpublishing.com)
1. Click here to view a Union Steamship Company Gulf Coast Route Map from 1925.
2. "The Union Steamship Company of British Columbia was organized in Vancouver in 1889 by Captain W. Webster and John Darling, a former director and General Superintendent of the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand. In 1911, control of the company passed to J.H. Welsford and Company of Liverpool, England, and control remained in English hands until 1937, when Vancouver capitalists purchased all shares. The company acquired the Frank Waterhouse Company of Canada in 1939 as a wholly owned subsidiary. The company also owned the Sannie and Howe Sound Ferry Company Limited as well as resort property on Bowen Island, the Sechelt Peninsula and at Whyte Cliff. Although all vessels were sold to Northland Navigation in 1959, the company remained in the land business."
(Source: City of Vancouver Archives)