(Aka the Back Beach)
I think this is Savary's most beautiful beach. It was also, for many years, the site of a crazed August 1 weekend party.
Sadly or — depending on your point of view — happily, years of strict police supervision and alcohol confiscation has pretty much ended the party.
A picnic excursion down the sand cliffs at South Beach circa 1915. The broom is in its infancy.
(Source: Spilsbury's Album by Jim Spilsbury, Harbour Publishing, 1990, www.harbourpublishing.com)
(1) From the dock, turn left onto Malaspina Promenade.
(2) Continue walking along the Front Row for several hundred yards unto you reach Townley Walk.
(3) Turn right on Townley and go straight up the hill till you reach an opening at the top with a view of Vancouver Island. This is the South Beach Trail.
(4) Carefully descend the South Beach Trail - it veers left. At the bottom is South Beach.
The South-beach trail now
1. According to Tony Griffin, it used to be called the Back Beach.
|Categories: places names|