|SIVFD (Savary Island Volunteer Fire Department)|
An organization of volunteers who respond to fire and other emergencies on the island.
For further information, click here to go to their website
(1) Main Fire Hall Location: 1847 Savary Island Road
(2) Mailing Address: PO Box 79, Lund, BC V0N 2G0
(3) Cell Phone: 604 578-8006
(4) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Savary Island Community Wildfire Protection Plan
In 2007 the SIVFD applied for a CWPP grant from the BC Ministry of Forests. In May 2008, the forestry department staff came to assess the island. In March 2009 the report was released.
It deals with five key issues:
* Structure Protection (dwellings),
* Emergency Response (evacuation plans and fire suppression),
* Training & Equipment (for fire fighters),
* Vegetation Management (reduction of highly combustible fuels like low branches, wind debris, certain vegetation), and
* Wild fire Rehabilitation Planning (after a fire).
To read the full report, click here.
1. They have/had a news-letter. Click here to read the latest one (2009). It has excellent info about how to evacuate the Island if there is a massive conflagration.