Paralytic shellfish poisoning
Paralytic shellfish poisoning is caused by eating bivalve shellfish — such as mussels, oysters, and clams — that contain toxins, toxins that can cause life-threatening neurological effects.

As shellfish harvested in BC coastal waters can sometimes contain these toxins, people harvesting shellfish should check to see if the area they are harvesting from is safe, i.e. open.

You can do this by:

(1) Clicking here to view the the BC Centre for Disease Control's shellfish harvesting status map.

(2) Calling the Fisheries' 24-hour phone line at 1-866-431-3474 or 604-666-2828.
Categories: shellfish


Please comment

E-Mail:
--