This beautiful house at the bottom of Townley walk was built by Bill Mace during the 1910s.
It was first owned by Kenneth Burnet (1866 - 1954), who passed it down to his daughter [Agnes or Lillian, not sure]. Her husband, John Aiken, named the cottage Kingarth after his birthplace in Scotland. The building was demolished in 2006.
Kingarth from North Beach
(water-colour by Michael Kluckner, 2003)
1. "…The house was built during the 1910s by W. A. (Bill) Mace based on plans similar to those used for the Edmonds house (two houses to west). Kenneth Lumsden Burnet (1866 - 1954), the original owner, had business associations with R. S. Sherman (1865 - 1941), a major (but now largely forgotten) figure in the early days of the subdivision of Savary, and K. L. Burnet was also acquainted with George Ashworth having met him during the Riel Rebellion.
K. L. Burnet was a land surveyor and son of one of B.C.'s very early surveyors Major Peter Burnet (1837 - 1910). R. S. Sherman, who was active as a land surveyor when he first came to B.C. in the 1890s, worked for a time with K. L. Burnet. All three surveyors have obituaries in 'Early Land Surveyors of British Columbia' (John A. Whittaker, ed., Corporation of Land Surveyors of the Province of B.C., 1990).
K. L. Burnet's daughter acquired K. L. Burnet's cottage and her husband, John Aiken, named the cottage 'Kingarth' after his birthplace in Scotland. Kingarth is reported to mean 'a small stone hut'. The current owner of Kingarth is a granddaughter of K. L. Burnet. The house next door to the east is the house built for R.S. Sherman and is one of the first six houses that were built soon after the 1910 subdivision. The house two houses to the east, which was owned by Bill Mace, the builder, is now owned by Peter Burnet, a grandson of K. L. Burnet."
(Source: Vanishing BC, Michael Kluckner)