The original name of Mace point.
It was named for John (aka "Jack") Green who set up a permanent trading post there in 1886, becoming the first full-time non-native inhabitant of the island. In 1888 he bought the 160 acre DL 1372 for $160.
It was known locally as Green's Point for years, but was — for some reason — charted as Mace Point. The charted name eventually superseded it, so that Mace point is now also what the locals call it.
|Categories: places names|